About The Swim
What is the MS Swimathon?
The MS Swimathon is a Queensland based fundraising initiative where teams of at least 6 people are sponsored by friends, family and work colleagues to swim in a 12 hour relay; raising vital funds for Queenslanders living with multiple sclerosis (MS).
You don’t need to be a ‘competitive’ swimmer to participate – people of all abilities can join in and take part. You can swim any style or distance that suits you; whether it be 1 or 100 laps in freestyle, breaststroke, sidestroke, or doggy paddle – it is all about participation!
You can swim as much or as little as you like… Here is how it works:
- Teams must have a minimum of 6 swimmers
- Each swimmer must have one swimmer in the pool at all times
- Only one swimmer per team is allowed in the pool at the same time
- It is the team’s responsibility to create a team roster and decide how long each member spends in the pool
- Teams need to count their own laps (a tally sheet will be provided). The lap tally will be recorded every hour by an MS Queensland representative.
- Swimmers are permitted to use floatation devices and swimming aids (e.g. fins/flippers, kick boards, noodles and wetsuits) except during the Hours of Power (unless approved by the Swimathon Director).
- We love to see teams getting into the spirit of the day – wear fancy dress, decorate your team retreat, or even create a team chant – it’s up to you!
- HAVE FUN! Healthy competition is important, but raising dollars for people with MS is the reason we hold these events, so don’t forget to relax and enjoy the day!
Why dive in to swim for people with MS?
- The MS Swimathon is a FANTASTIC day out – have fun & support people with MS at the same time!
- You will personally contribute to helping people in your local community living with multiple sclerosis
- Your efforts are acknowledged in and out of the pool – there are awards for top fundraisers and swimmers
- Swimming relay style for 12 hours is a HUGE achievement – the personal satisfaction of completing this event is outstanding
- It is a well organised, professional and exciting day out for all; participants & spectators
- Be part of a community that takes action to help others in need
All you need to know about our events:
- Rules and Safety
- Awards & Incentives
- Meet the MS Swimathon Team
- Swim Locations
Not a team of champion swimmers but want a head start in your lap count? Bonus Laps is for you!
Teams will be awarded 1 lap for each $50 that their team raises. Laps will be calculated based on the amount of online fundraising at 5pm on the day before the event and will be added to each teams lap tally prior to the start of the swimathon. The more funds your team raises, the more bonus laps you will receive!