1. MAKE THE FIRST DONATION
By donating to your fundraising page or your team’s page, you show your personal commitment to fighting MS. Sponsoring yourself is also a great way to start your fundraising momentum and set the standard for other donations.
2. SEND AN EMAIL
Spreading the word in four simple steps:
- Copy one of our email templates, or create your own and share your personal MS story
- Send to everyone you know-don’t assume that someone won’t give; you never know who has been touched by MS
- Don’t forget to include a link to your fundraising page
- Send a follow-up email a few weeks before the event to provide them with an update of your fundraising efforts and to remind those who haven’t donated yet. Make sure you thank people after they have made their donation.
3. SHARE ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Share your link to your fundraising page and ask for donations on platforms such as:
- A personal blog
It also helps to tag people in your posts, so they see it. Sharing it in Messenger is a great way for people to see it.
4. PERSONALISE YOUR PAGE
Those who personalise their page raise more than those who don’t! Here are some ways you can get started today:
- Upload a photo so people easily recognise it’s your page.
- Update your page with why you are swimming. Are you training or committing to a longer distance that you’d usually undertake? Or do you know someone who is living with MS, and are swimming to support them? The more you explain why you are swimming, the more generous your friends and family will be.
5. ASK EVERYONE
Whether you’re taking to the streets or simply sharing a link on Facebook, get the word out about your fantastic efforts in helping people with MS and how others can help too.
Make sure to ask:
- Employers (and don’t forget to ask about dollar-matching!)
- Members of any of your clubs and organisations
- Local businesses you visit regularly – eg: butcher, bakery, newsagent, hairdresser